Disclosure: We may get commissions for purchases made through links in this post.
Are you bored with the look of your hardscaping and do you want to paint your pavers to enhance their appearance? That's what we'll talk about today. We've asked our experts if you can paint or stain concrete pavers and here's what they said.
You can paint or stain your concrete pavers to make them look new and make your hardscape look better. Here's how to do it.
- Clean the area.
- Wait for it to dry.
- Apply the stain or primer for the paint and wait for it to dry.
- Add another layer of stain or apply two coats of paint. Allow to dry completely in between each coat.
- Apply two layers of sealant. Give sufficient time to dry in between each coat.
- Let it dry completely.
Keep on reading so that we can tell you more about painting and staining your concrete pavers and how to go about these tasks. We'll also share with you what kind of paint you should use and give you tips on other ways to make your pavers look new. Finally, this article will answer if painting concrete pavers is a good idea. Let's get started!
Can pavers be painted?
Aside from the facade of your house, the garden, driveway, and patio are the first parts of your property that guests and passersby get a glimpse of. Of course, you want to make a good impression at all times. That's why many homeowners take the time to improve the look of their outdoor landscaping with the help of pavers.
Pavers can be patterned in different ways to come up with unique designs. No one can dispute the value that they add to your home. Aside from extending your living space, they also enhance the beauty of your outdoor area.
However, the concrete pavers can look worn out with time as it is constantly used and continuously exposed to different elements. This is why homeowners would like to know if they can have them painted so that they would look new once again.
You can paint concrete pavers to give them a fresh look. Pavers originally come in red, gray, tan, and brown hues. You might want to put more life into your hardscape by choosing a different paint color and that's alright.
Can you stain concrete pavers?
Staining is an alternative to painting your concrete pavers. Although the process is very similar to painting, they both work in different ways.
Whereas painting coats the surface of the pavers, staining penetrates to the core of the paving material to give it a more natural look. It is also easier to apply on the pavers. Best of all, it won't peel off when constantly exposed to harsh weather.
Concrete or masonry stains come in different colors but the most common ones are brown, red, and pink. They will usually last between three to five years before you would need to reapply the stains again. But this is a fairly easy task. You can do this using a brush or sprayer and you'll make your pavers look new again.
How to paint or stain concrete pavers
1. Prepare the area by removing any leaves and weeds.
2. Use a pressure washer and brush the surface to get rid of dirt and grime. You can also use soapy water to clean the pavers.
3. Rinse the area with water.
4. Allow to dry completely. You can sweep off the puddles to help make drying time faster.
5. Apply the stain or a coat of concrete primer if you're painting. You can use a paintbrush or spray.
6. Wait for the stain to dry completely before adding another layer. Similarly, let the primer dry before applying your acrylic cement paint using a roller or spray.
7. Allow the surface to dry completely. This may take 24 hours.
8. Apply another coat of paint and wait for it to dry.
9. Apply one layer of sealant. Follow the manufacturer's recommendation for drying time before you apply another coat on the pavers.
10. Give it time to dry and cure completely. This may take two days.
It is important to plan when you want to paint your concrete pavers. Do this when the weather is agrreable. You should also enclose the area for the meantime so that no one can step on the new paint.
What kind of paint do you use on concrete pavers?
Speaking of paint, which paint should you buy from the store?
Experts recommend using acrylic cement or paving paint. As the name suggests, this kind of paint has been specifically designed for concrete surfaces. It has ingredients that'll help it adhere to concrete and stone surfaces much better. It can withstand daily traffic and constant exposure to changing weather conditions.
Acrylic cement or paving paint comes in a variety of colors to suit your preference. You can choose from earthy colors to match the outdoors or bold hues to make your hardscape stand out.
You would need two coats of cement or paving paint and then apply a sealant on top to achieve the best results.
How do you make pavers look new?
You can make your pavers look new even without painting. You just need to give them a good cleaning and then seal them.
Here's how to do it.
1. Regular water will do but if you want to make a cleaning solution, you can mix white vinegar or a mild soap with water. This will help you get rid of stains on the surface.
2. Soak the pavers with the cleaning solution for about an hour. Make sure you limit access to this area while cleaning to prevent accidents.
3. Use a pressure washer and scrub the pavers with a long brush to get rid of all the dirt and grime on their surface.
4. You can use an oxygen-bleach solution if molds and algae have formed on the surface.
5. Rinse off the cleaning solution with water
6. Allow to dry completely. This may take two days.
7. Using a heavy-duty spray or sponge roller, apply a sealer on the surface of the pavers.
8. Give it 24 hours to dry and let no one access the area in the meantime.
That's it! You'll be able to make your pavers look new without having to paint them.
An important reminder when you do this task, make sure you check the weather. Plan ahead so that you can schedule your cleaning and sealing on sunny days.
Rain might affect the quality of the job. The surface may become blotchy or cloudy due to the sealant mixing with rainwater. Aside from being unappealing to the eyes, the sealant may not be effective in doing its job of protecting the pavers.
Is painting concrete a good idea?
Despite becoming a trend, many landscaping experts do not recommend painting your pavers.
This is mainly because the paint is bound to crack and peel over time especially when the outdoor area is constantly exposed to the harsh UV rays. Heavy use can also cause premature peeling of paint.
When this happens, your pavers will become unpresentable and you'll have to have it repainted all over again.
Painting pavers also prevent moisture from escaping from the surface. The concrete is covered with a film that seals in moisture. When water isn't allowed to escape, it can soak the pavers and make them weak. In the end, they will break and easily be damaged.
The beauty of the pavers would also depend on the quality of the paint job. If you don't have the skills for painting, then you might do more harm than good to your hardscape. You can also ask someone to do the job for you, but that would mean additional costs on your end.
You can paint your concrete pavers if you want to bring new life to your hardscape. But take note that there are better alternatives such as staining, cleaning, and sealing your pavers to preserve their natural color without damaging their core.
If you want to know more about concrete pavers, you may visit the following links: